Men with enlarged breasts has now become a common sight at the beaches. This condition is called ‘Gynecomastia’.
In most cases, both the breasts are enlarged and such person is said to be having ‘Bilateral Gynecomastia’.
However, there is another condition known as ‘Unilateral Gynecomastia’, which means one of the breast is noticeably bigger than the other one.
The other breast is usually normal in shape and size. Some also call this condition as ‘Asymmetric Gynecomastia’.
It is not a rare condition and can be seen in many males.
The difference in the growth of breast tissue, nipples and skin around them were the reasons behind this condition.
Unilateral Gynecomastia Causes
There can be various causes to get Gynecomastia. But, the most common cause is the imbalance of hormones. When a male body does not produce adequate amounts of Testosterone (male hormone) and instead increases the production of Estrogen (female hormone), then it may result in the development of breasts in men.
Other causes include:
- Obesity: People with excess body fat tend to produce higher amounts of Estrogen.
- Puberty: During teenage, the hormone levels usually goes up, and in some cases, Estrogen levels get increased, thereby making the breasts grow bigger like females. Luckily, in most males, their breasts shrink back to normal size naturally and the condition goes away.
- Aging: As we get older, our body is prone to imbalance of hormones, which causes enlargement of breasts or boobs in men.
There are other natural factors that cause Unilateral Gynecomastia such as:
- Persons suffering from Scoliosis, a condition where the spine is curved and in order to support his posture, he needs to carry one shoulder slightly lower than the other shoulder. In some cases, there may be an asymmetrical rib cage that causes different chest muscles on each side, thus making one breast bigger than the other.
- Asymmetrical Gynecomastia may also be caused due to abnormal development of breast bone in some males.
- Drinking too much alcohol or taking prescription drugs (amphetamines, antidepressants, antibiotics) or using steroids are another reason.
Symptoms of Unilateral Gynecomastia
It is to be noted here that both the breasts are having the extra breast tissue but one breast is slightly bigger than the other.
So, both the breasts need to be examined well if you’re about to undergo the Gynecomastia surgery in order to remove the breast tissue to permanently cure your man boobs problem.
Therefore, it is highly advised to consult a certified physician as he could guide you in the right way.
Unilateral Gynecomastia Treatment Options
There are 2 treatment options in case of Unilateral or Asymmetrical Gynecomastia.
- Instant Results: Undergoing Gynecomastia surgery is costly, but you could permanently get rid of your man boobs problem. The process is also quick too.
- Slow Results: One can opt for Gynecomastia pills, male breast reduction creams and also use Chest compression clothing. This process takes some time, but it is cost-effective.
Whether to opt for a surgery or not depends entirely on the person’s individual case and preference.
If you’ve the budget, then I suggest you to opt for the surgery and get the breast tissue removed instantly. In other cases, you can go for the alternative treatment options.
The choice is yours.